Saturday, March 11, 2017

Alter

Alright my spooky children time to make our way back into an old haunted mansion and renovate the spirits out of it. Grab your sledge hammer, its time to check out the movie, Alter.

In a English country side a family is off to an old manor. Mom, being the main bread winner of the family, has been commissioned to restore the house to its former glory. Unknowing to her, a couple of spirits are awaken and as she goes about her job, her children start seeing funky ghosts and her husband starts going through a dark sinister change.

Now this movie held a lot of promise. The story seemed to be getting very compelling as it moved on, and you were intrigued by the change in the father and wanted to know more about the history of the house and its past occupants. Sadly, that's were it ends and you are left with more questions than answers. You want to know the history of the house but all you get is a quick 'oh, this artist lived here with his wife and they died'. That's the history lesson. You don't get a flashback to tell you what happened, you don't get a diary that one of the family members reads, you don't even get the ghost saying what happened to them. All you get is a quick internet search done by the mom and even that doesn't answer anything. If anything your sitting there thinking, 'what was the point? Who were these people and why are their spirits doing this? And why should I care? The ghost effects were pretty novice. It looked like a first year film students attempt at creating a ghost effect. And if leaving you with more questions than answers gets under your skin, than the ending will too.

Aside from all that, I think it was...eh. It did keep me interested. Its one of those movies that maybe if I watched it again I'd get the entire plot, I don't know. It wasn't terrible, but I'm not sure if I'd watch it again even if it meant getting the whole history of the manor. I leave it up to ya'll to decide. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a sledge hammer, and I'm not gonna let it go to waste. Dee smash!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment