Monday, May 28, 2012

Dark Shadows

D: Alright our dear fans of Tim Burton and the ever so popular Johnny Depp, we got a classic for you. Well...not so much a classic as a remake of a classic. I give you Tim Burton's version of the popular goth soap classic, Dark Shadows. I know, a soap opera tv show that sounds cool. Impossible. But back in the 60s-early 70s it was.
Now if your fans of the old show you already know a few things, maybe even more. But to those (like me I admit) you only know of the movie. Well it's about a vampire (not a twilighty one) who is trying to bring honor back to his family's name and keep them all together, while trying to gain back his humanity. That is what the movie is about.
Now through out this movie, you get a pretty groovy feeling of a real 70s movie. The way it was made reflects the time beautifully. Even down to the classic vampire makeup that Depp has screams old time vampire flick. There are even many funny and quirky moments that make you chuckle.
Aside from all that, the movie does have some draw backs such as moving events fast and throwing loads of information into one scene instead of dealing it out one by one. But I suppose that's what happens when you are making a movie based off of a five year long series.
My conclusion, I have mixed feelings about this one. I found it good, but unsure if I would want to wait in line for it when it comes out onto DVD...or Blueray..whatever. My suggestion, if your a fan of the old TV series or Tim Burton, go see the movie and compair.. or, just go see it. Its a fun night movie. I still can't believe there was a cool gothy soap opera on and I was never told....what else has been kept from me??

N: If you feel a cold spell creeping down your neck that just might mean that a blood sucking vampire by the name of Barnabas Collins (Depp) is lurking in the shadows. Beware because if he is not stalking you then it must be another one of the crazy Collins. While this dark yet comical filled movie impressed me I felt like something was lacking. I have only seen a few episodes of the TV series and I could defiantly tell that Tim Burton was trying to squeeze the entire series into one film. Though he did pull it off I was a little disappointed in some of the character development. I suggest if you need a midnight snack this would be a movie to see. Just watch out for Barnabas Collins.

No comments:

Post a Comment