Monday, May 14, 2012

The Raven

N: When I first saw the previews for this movie it only added to my wish list of movies to see this year. Especially being that John Cusack was playing the famous writer. That being said as I finally was able to catch this flick at the Living Room Theaters (Portland Oregon) as we sat down with our drinks, Edgar Allan Poe's words started to fill my mind. Ravens began circling in my thoughts. Squawking the famous lines "Quoth the Raven. Nevermore." and though countless homages have paid tribute to this fantastic poet and literary writer this new renditions will centrally be added to my stock of home movie selections. In this case I think I will place this movie next to my Sherlock homes. In fact it had the same feel as the Sherlock Holmes movies that just came out, which is not a bad thing. not at all. Especially if you enjoy that sort of gritty 19th Century perspective of life. Though I somehow feel that something was missing, but I can't put my talons on what aspects of the move I thought could have been stronger. Well maybe its like all the other movies that fall into the category of mystery and murder. Follow the clues and as you cross paths with the killer ( that is not reveled until the end) you some how feel like you have seen been here before. yet if you need to spend a few moments in gut cringing pain then keep in mind "The Pit and the Pendulum." You won't be disappointed.  I think sometimes that I myself was born in the wrong century I told this to Deanne as we left the theater. As a poet and writer myself I would have found my place at home....
D: Quoth the Raven...make me into a movie. And he has been. Well at least the famous writer Edgar Allen Poe has been. Yes, a movie that is based upon this tortured poet and his writings. Murder, mystery, and mayhem all play a part in this tale as the creative genius trys to unravel the mysteries behind a madman killer who is using the poets writings as inspiration for his murder spree.
As if its not enough you are trying to figure out who the murderer is, you are wondering which of Poe's brilliant poems will be used to portray the next murder as well as remembering those tales he is known for. As said before you will not be disappointed in this movie. I recommend this for the Poe lovers and mystery lovers everywhere. And to quote the poet..now is the winter of our discontent...what? That's not Poe?...

No comments:

Post a Comment